Saturday, November 29, 2014

Psalm 6

Psalm 6:6 For who among the dead remembers you? Who praises you in Sheol?

I don't know why this morning this sentence irks me. This person is asking God to save m from dying by basically saying "you should keep me alive because if I'm dead, I can't praise you." How many times have we gone through life saying "ok God, I will do this if you do this for me"? I know I have many times. And I didn't notice until my child starts using that on me. "Mommy, I can clean me room, then I have cookie?" As if she needed a promise of a reward to do her chores I expected of her. 

Young Christians, although referred to as children in books they mean those who haven't been in th faith long, including adults, often think they deserve a reward for doing what is expected of them in their faith. "If I take the time to go to church, I want ______." Instead they need to be taught that they need to be in church praising God for allowing them to be there, without any earthly reward, because our ultimate reward is Heaven. (I know that this psalmist didn't have the promise of Heaven.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...