Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Peace and preparation

In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain.” (Isaiah 40:3-4)

We read Isaiah 9:6, we know Isaiah foretold “a child will be given.” God was giving us a present- His son. Each year, in Advent, we get to experience the joy of waiting and preparing to celebrate. Part of this joy is the Advent wreath. We light ours at night, before dinner, and review scripture and questions for my kids to think about. This week, as we look into peace, here are some questions to consider:
What are some areas we don’t always have peace in our lives?
What are some things that keep us from having peace with God?

We need to prepare our hearts for the celebration of Christ. Just as we should prepare our hearts each Sunday before Mass to receive Him. We also need to prepare our hearts and minds for the new year, and how we need to allow more time for God. Here are some more questions we can consider in preparing for our new year to come:

  1. How have I delighted in God this last year?
  2. What ways may I increase my delight in God in 2020?
  3. What books might I think about reading to stretch my mind and heart on the things of God?
  4. What are my plans with God’s Word in this coming year that I might fuel my delight in God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...