Friday, July 2, 2021

Don’t Give for Attention (Isaiah 58)

Isaiah 58:10 If you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted, then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the flood shall become for you like midday.

Isaiah was explaining to the people that though they were trying to show they were doing things for God, it was really for their own purposes. They fasted to look more spiritual than others. They weren’t fasting for God’s purpose. They wanted people to see them suffering. Jesus tells us in Matthew 6 that if we fast, to wash and put on our day as if we weren’t. We aren’t fasting so others may see our struggle, we fast so we can grow closer to God. We aren’t fasting so we can say, “I’m hungry.” 

This is the same about good works. We don’t do good works for others recognitions. We do them for God’s purpose, to serve one another. We are called to serve others, to give them our bread. Whatever we have been blessed with is to be shared, not kept to ourselves. One we can learn to share with a open heart, without strings, without someone seeing, our own blessings will be multiplied by God.


Lord, thank you for what I am given. Help me to see where your love is needed most Lord. Help me to be more willing to reach out to those in need, whether stranger or even in my family. I love you Lord and want to serve you. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...