Monday, November 9, 2020

Be near (Philippians 4:4-9)

“‘The Lord is near.” Philippians 4:5b

On this second week of this study, we are called to draw near to our Lord. In addition to lighting a candle every day, add some soft music to your background. When the kids are awake, I like to play K-Love radio because they know the songs and enjoy the commentary. When it’s just me during prayer time, I have a classical station on my Spotify. I think it is actually called Classical music for studying. It’s really nice. I find it helps me to draw closer. The music fills the emptiness, which sometimes causes my mind to drift away from my prayer time. 

Knowing and feeling that he is near helps to calm the anxieties this world can bring. There are so many things around us that cause us to worry. This pandemic, elections, hurricanes, children’s education, work, vocations, etc. It is amazing that the devotional I read on Saturday talked about these. Philippians 4:19 reminds us that ‘God will fully supply whatever you need.’ The devotional reminds us that even though these words were written 2000 years or so ago, we can use them during this 2020 madness:

 My God will fully supply for what you need for your vocation.

My God will fully supply for what you need for this pandemic.

My God will fully supply for what you need for your loved ones.

My God will fully supply for what you need for your employment.

My God will fully supply for what you need for the healing of the wounds of racism.

My God will fully supply for what you need for the wildfires.

My God will fully supply for what you need for the hurricanes.

My God will fully supply for what you need for the elections.

My God will fully supply for what you need for the education of your children.

My God will fully supply for what you need for your holiness.”

God is near. We should live in the awareness that he will return soon, even if it isn’t in the next 300 years. We should prepare our hearts as if it were tomorrow. He will make things right in our messed up world. For now, welcome him into your heart. Make him part of your morning routine, your daily life. Talk to him throughout the day. Light your candles. Play some music. Write on your gratitude list. Draw near to the Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...