Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Trust in him (Psalms 37:1-24)

 There are several points in this Psalm that I need to take to heart. It seems like a lot of potential cause and effects. Remember in English, “if this, then that”? If you do this, that will happen. Seems simple enough in theory, but I know it is hard to wait for some things to happen as a result of our good. 

Psalm 37:3 Trust in the Lord and do good that you may dwell in the land and live secure. Trust in the Lord instead of worrying. It’s so easy to let things overcome us and distract us from trusting God. Especially if we see someone else prospering by being wicked. We should just enjoy what blessings God has given us and trust that he knows better than we do. Have you written on your gratitude list today?

Psalm 37:4 Find your delight in the Lord who will give you your heart’s desire. As I’ve posted before, desires of the flesh are not sin itself unless we act on them and put them in front of loving God. If we try to obtain them instead of pursuing God, Desires of the flesh come about when we don’t feel fulfilled and think someTHING or someONE can fill that hole. The only thing or person that can truly fill that hole, that emptiness, that longing, is God. Everything else we try to turn to will leave us empty in the end. If we fill our heart with God, if we learn to find joy with the blessings he has given us, praising him for those blessings, living like he calls us to, he will give us our heart’s desire. 

Psalm 37:5 Commit your way to the Lord; trust that God will act. (7) Be still before the Lord, wait for God. We are called to truly commit to God’s will, to trust and find peace knowing that he is in control. This is not an easy task to do of most people. If you are like me, control is a big thing. I like thinking I am in control of certain situations. It is only recently that I have learned to let go, truly let go, of some things. I used to always reach out, ahead of time to figure out how to resolve things. Like when we were interviewing for jobs, I took it upon myself to email the people my husband interviewed with to see how things were going, what else needed to be done, trying to put my foot in the door. Some people see this as making a connection, which is what I thought. All it did though was build up frustration inside myself when things didn’t go MY way, and made me angry with my husband for not taking things further. Instead of interfering I should have trusted in God, that he would lead us where it was best for our family. Not just where I wanted to go. Because I can’t see the bigger picture. 

Humans are so focused on the here and now, and maybe 5 year plan, but we can’t see the bigger picture. That is why we need to trust in God, and WAIT. Be still. There is an answer, and it is the right one. Might not always seem right at first, especially if it doesn’t meet our current wants, but God knows exactly where and what we are called to do. Focus your heart on God. That desire you think you seek can only truly be filled by him. Be still. Peace be with you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...