Thursday, November 5, 2020

Rise with Christ (Colossians 3:1-17)

 Colossians 3:1 If then your were raised with Christ, seek what is above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.

We were raised with Christ at our baptisms. Whether you had water pour over your head, or you were pulled out of the water, you became anew in Christ. Just as Jesus died and rose from the dead, our souls rose to lead us to eternal life after being baptized. So we should be living more like Christ after his resurrection. Jesus isn’t in the dark tomb, and so we shouldn’t live in the darkness. We should be out, serving other people, looking towards heaven. 

We can do this by listening to the words in this chapter:

“put them all away: anger, fury, malice, slander, and obscene language out of your mouths. Stop lying to one another...” (v8-9a)

In baptism, we are given a white garment, the new self. We have been renewed and called to learn about our creator. For me, as a Catholic, I was baptized as a baby, so I didn’t have any idea of what was going on. Luckily, we also have the sacrament of confirmation, which was chance for me as a young adult to recognize and accept Jesus fully into my heart. As an adult, I did put him aside while I lived my life, and I very much regret it. But now, I feel the calling to put on that new self, walk away from the uncleanliness, to show more heartfelt compassion and mercy to others, and forgive others. I want the “peace of Christ to control my heart (v15)” so I will “let the word of Christ dwell within me (v16).” 

We are approaching Advent, the time for preparation. So there is never a better time to really look inside and see what things we need to change in our hearts and minds so that we can be ready to delight in the birth of our Lord. Did you light your candle? Peace be with you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...