Monday, May 3, 2021

Do You Value Others (Isaiah 39)

Isaiah 39:8b For he thought, “There will be peace and security in my lifetime.”

Oh Hezekiah. In chapter 38, we read that when Hezekiah was ill and prayed to God, God gave him 15 more years of life. This must have changed Hezekiah internally, because when messengers from the king of Babylon came to visit, he felt the need to brag and show him all the treasures and finery in his house. Isaiah then informed Hezekiah that God was going to take everything away from him and give it to Babylon.

Hezekiah’s bragging of all the treasures in his kingdom was an act of pride. His showing of all the things he built up under God’s protection was like a slap in the face for God, and we are to understand that Hezekiah never once gave praise as to HOW he came about all the treasures. He certainly was not being a humble man, giving thanks to God for all he was blessed with. And so God told him it would be taken away. But the Lord said it as, “the day shall come,” and Hezekiah assumed those days wouldn’t be during his lifetime, as God had given him 15 more years to live. Hezekiah showed no concern for his children’s children when he replied, “There will be peace and security in my lifetime.”

Are we just as selfish and lack humility as Hezekiah? Do we care only about ourselves, hoarding our treasures, instead of offering things up to others in need? Do we only focus on our future success instead of what God has already blessed us with?

As I am packing up the house, I can see that we are truly blessed. And with that, I am going through and giving away lots of clothes, household items, etc that are excessive to what we truly need. I know someone else can benefit from these gifts, whereas they are just sitting in the closet or cabinet, not being worn or used here. And I feel truly selfish in that I haven’t taken the time to do this with my own stuff before. I make the kids do it each year before Christmas, but I haven’t charged myself with the same task until now. And it feels really good to be letting go of things. 

Lord, thank you for all that you have blessed us with. I pray my offerings will bless another as I have been. Thank you for continuing to give me grace, even when I may not be worthy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...