Thursday, May 6, 2021

Foretelling the future (Isaiah 42)

Isaiah 42:1Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit; he will bring forth justice to the nations.

This chapter is a great prophecy for the Israelites future, and we know this because we know it came true. In this chapter, Isaiah talks about the one to come who 

*I am pleased: in Matthew 17, as Jesus is baptized in the Jordan, a voice from heaven says, “this is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

*Upon whose I have put my spirit...To open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon those who live in darkness.: in Luke 4, Jesus is reading from the scroll on the sabbath, and proclaims that the scripture of Isaiah was fulfilled, “the Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor, He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free...” In John 9, he does make the blind man see. 

Jesus did not cry out in the streets, drawing attention to himself by being boisterous. His mercy was abundant, so he would never turn his back on someone in need. 

The final verse, “the earlier things have come to pass, the new ones I foretell,” should really shake us. At the time of Isaiah’s prophecy, the people had no idea to truly believe. But we know God’s prophecy of Jesus came true. We have the history books to tell us of the falls of the kingdoms. So if all the other things Isaiah prophesied came true, why would we believe that other things God promised wouldn’t happen?

God wants to heal our pain, he wants us to draw near. He wants us to truly accept him as our Father, Jesus as our Lord and Savior, so that we can be with him in our eternity. It’s never too late to let him heal you. 

Lord, I pray for those who are broken, who are hurting. I pray that they can find you in their weakest hours, to see that you are the way out. I pray they seek you first, and not fill their needs with things that will not save them. I thank you for your blessings. Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...