Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Fear Not (Isaiah 41)

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, I am with you; be not dismayed; I am your God. I will strengthen you, and help you, and uphold you with my right hand of justice. 

God is not asking us to not fear. He is pretty much commanding it. Fear can lead to anxiety which can lead to sin. We do not need to let fear overwhelm us, and lead us to not trust in the word of God. There are so many references in the Bible to not worrying. In the gospel of Matthew chapter 6:25 tells us not to worry about our life, what we will eat or drink, or about clothing. It goes on to say we can’t an hour to our life by worrying. The gospel of Luke chapter 12:27 says the same, including that God dresses the lilies, so surely he would take care of us as well. Philippians 4:6 tells us to be anxious for nothing and turn our fears over to God. 1 Peter 5:7 tells us to give our anxiety to God because he cares for us. 

Our God is a loving God. Why would he take the time to create this world and you and me in it, just to throw us here without any help? God is with us, and we need to trust in his word. In this time we live now, still wrecked with this pandemic, it is very easy to worry about something. We all do. When we begin to feel the tug of worry, we need to turn to God and ask him to take whatever the worry is from our mind. If we continue to dwell on a worry, that’s when the devil can come in and make that worry grow. 

I’ve had worry and fear about this move, and I found I haven’t been sleeping well because of it. I had a few bad dreams about the new house, this house, the move itself, etc. And I realized that at my weakest moment, when I have the least control, in my sleep is when the devil was trying to attack me. I am strong during the day because I pray out loud. But in my sleep, the devil was taking my fears and making them bigger. So before bed, now I make sure to pray to God about the move, saying I am putting it in his hands. I find that has been helpful in that I don’t remember having bad dreams at least.

Lord thank you for taking the fears from my mind. I know they will only lead me down a road I do not want to be. You are such a good father, and as I tell my children, you ARE bigger than the bogeyman. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...