Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Live in the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-25)

Galatians 5:24-25 Now those who belong to Christ have crucified their flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit.

Following the spirit means showing love, kindness, joy, peace, patience, generosity and faithfulness.  Want to know a way to show love, kindness and joy? Easy. Smile. This has been difficult to accomplish with masks these last 18 months. But did you know, even with a mask, people can tell if you give a genuine smile. It’s in your eyes. Don’t believe me? Try it. Go in front of a mirror and cover your mouth. Then do as quick, “I don’t care” smile. Then give a “I have so much love in my heart” smile. You an totally see the difference in your eyes. We are all struggling in some way with this pandemic that just won’t end. Next time you go out in public, try giving a genuine smile even behind your mask. It will make someone’s day. 

Another easy way to show kindness and love is to give a compliment. It shows you made the effort to notice something about someone else. Another thing to try when you are out: if you notice something about someone, let them know. Compliment their shoes, their hair cut, their shirt, or even applaud someone’s intelligence. 

Do the dishes. Next time you visit family or a friend and there is food involved, get up and start doing the dishes. No one loves doing the dishes. But taking that “dirty job” off the hostess hands will bring joy and show love and kindness. Saint Teresa of Calcutta (formerly Mother Teresa) said, “wash the plate not because it is dirty nor because you are told to wash it, but because you love the person who will use it next.” I have this quote framed on my kitchen sink to remind me of a way to show love in my own house. Even if my kids don’t see it that way. 

Lord I pray I am humble enough to see acts of work as showing joy and kindness for others, as you have called me to do. I pray that you continue to guide my heart and help it grow in love for your word. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...