Monday, October 4, 2021

Desires of the Flesh (Galatians 5:19-21)

Verses 19-21 gives us examples of the passions and desires of the flesh that we who are called to Christ turn away from: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions, envy, drinking bouts, orgies, etc.


If we claim to be of the Spirit, we must turn away from these things. Dissensions and factions mean lack of agreement, a state of conflict within a group. This could be in a church, in a community, in the government. We are quick to have outburst of fury if we see, hear, or read something that we don’t agree with. Licentiousness means disregarding moral restraints. 


Acts of selfishness are pretty self explanatory, and is probably one of the hardest ones to let go of. Asking for help but never offering it, never giving advice or support, being overly controlling, taking all the credit, avoiding responsibility, manipulating, uncaring, are all examples of selfishness. Praying for it to rain so we don’t have soccer practice is also selfish. This is me. I need to confess. 


Lord, I am a sinner. I try to live in the light of Christ, but I am selfish sometimes. Please help me to forgive myself and know that when I am asked for something, I should think of it as you asking me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...