Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Psalm 101




This summer, my Bible study group is going through Pslams, 101-150. So I will begin here...

Psalm 101:2 I will follow the way of integrity; when will you come to me? I act with integrity of heart within my royal court.

Integrity is defined as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness"1. David was grateful to be among God's chosen, and wanted to show his moral principles. He kept his household honest by banning all officials who abused their power. He wanted to use his household as a model for Israel. He was higher in power as king, and with higher power, minor flaws are more greatly viewed. So he wanted to keep any flaws out of his reign.

How can I use my household as a model God for others? To start, I must have characteristics of a follower of God. I must behave wisely. I cannot model God for others if I do not first have God in the center of my heart and life. I must model God in my own house before I can do for others.

I mustn't put anything unholy in my life. I should not allow my eyes to be tempted by things that are unholy. I mustn't allow myself to become lazy to sheltering my heart from sin. I also mustn't have pride because of my blessings. I must always know and put forth that all blessings I have are because of God, and nothing of just myself.

Psalm 101:3, 6 I do not allow into my presence anyone who speaks perversely. Whoever acts shamefully I hate; No such person can be my friend(3). I look to the faithful of the land; they alone can be my companions (6).

One way to model God is by the people I choose to keep around me. If I choose to be around people who speak perversely, or who have devious in the heart (v4), who slanders others in secret (v5), I am no better than they. My heart could be taken down by their ways if I don't stand up for those they offend. It is better to keep those who follow the way of integrity, those who do not practice deceit or do not speak falsely (7). Those who speak with moral rightness have God in their heart. They are the ones I should allow my heart to connect with. People see who we allow ourselves to be around, and judge us for that. If I allow my self to be friends with someone who has bad morals, then I will be thought to have bad morals as well.

If I want to use my household as a model, I must first look inside myself for a guide. God is there, ready to lead me for His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...