Monday, February 8, 2021

Pride (Isaiah 16)

 Isaiah 16:6 We have heard of the pride of Moab, how very proud he is, with his haughty, arrogant insolence that his empty words do not match. 

In the following verses, and from what I gathered in researching Moab, they were very proud of their vineyards. The verses mention raisin cakes, terraced slopes or fields, vines, choice plants or clusters, summer fruits, etc. Instead of being grateful to God for their abundance, they worshipped foreign gods. They let pride get in their way, and turned to themselves instead of God.

Pride is “feeling of deep pleasures from one’s own achievements.” It is not wrong to feel good about something we accomplish, as long as we understand that accomplish didn’t happen because of us. It is because God allowed it to happen. Because of the gifts that God gave us. Bragging, or showing off, is prideful, whether it is something big or small. It is good to get a pat on the back when we have accomplished something, especially if we have been working hard on it. Or if most of our work goes unnoticed.  It we should always be doing work for the glory of God, not man. Instead of looking to see what others think of our accomplishments, we should look in our hearts and remember that we couldn’t have done so without God. And that if we continue on that journey of showing off to others for mere praise, God has his own ways of humbling people. 

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before disaster, and a haughty spirit before a fall. 

Lord I pray you keep me humble, that I always remember everything I am comes from you. Every accomplishment is because of the way you made me, the gifts you have blessed me with. Thank you for loving me each and every day, even when I fail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...