Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Learning to Drive

So today, as I was bringing my youngest to pre-k, I noticed I was behind a student driver. We needed to get to the grocery store, because someone ate all the bread and lunch meat that I had planned out for the week, and Katie needs lunch for school. At first, I had a hint of frustration because this road is not passable and because I had to go to the store. Then, I quickly thought again. That driver is learning. He/she is probably very fearful at the moment, taking this test on wet roads. This is a new experience for him/her. There are several curves to get around carefully on the wet
road for an experienced driver, much less a new one. Who am I to get mad because they are driving a little slow?

Katie asked why we were going slow, and I mentioned the car in front of us having a student driver. She looked through the window and said "yes its because they have cheese on their head." (The car had the yellow sign on top saying "Student driver." Ha!

Then I realized how mad I have been getting at my own student drivers for being slow. This world, these tasks, daily expectations of school, life, homework, soccer, dance, etc. is new, has its own curves and wet roads, and perhaps is fearful to my own kids. Who am I to get mad at them for taking things slow? And why is it easier for me to be patient for someone else but not for my own children?

I know when I get frustrated at my children for being slow, it's usually because I didn't prepare myself enough for whatever the next task is going to be, and I didn't plan ahead to have little hands like to try to tie their own shoes or zip their own jackets, or can't find the matching shoe. I am rushing and honking my horn at my kids to move out the way because I didn't get myself together. It would only require me to do a little more prep work. Before bed, have them get their shoes in their buckets (so they match in the morning). If there is an extra minute in the morning, remind them they have soccer and to put their gear in their bags to change into after school. And make it a point in my day to double check their attempt to be organized and make sure all the stuff if by the door, ready to go.

Then, I need to be like the driver teacher. Just sit in the passenger seat, and let them take the wheel (while keeping my foot on the emergency break!).

Image result for student driver

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...