Friday, November 8, 2019

So if you read my blog Monday, I posted on 1 Corinthians 11, which also talks about women wearing veils in Mass. I haven't seen women wearing veils in Mass in many years at the Church Parishes we have lived. I know my friend started wearing a mantilla veil several years ago in Mass, after she was married. I thought it was a beautiful symbol. I remember peoples comments (Who does she think she is, oh Mrs. Holier-than-thou, that is so out-dated, etc.), and never wanted to join in her sentiments on it, though it is a beautiful representation of devotion to Christ. 

Well, now that I have read this chapter, I am curious as to the current thought on veils in Mass. So I have googled and found this website which has some explanation as to the current "rules" or lack there of regarding veils https://www.veilsbylily.com/frequently-asked-questions/#vaticanii

The church no longer mandates it, as it is not written as a requirement in the current Code of Canon Law. I do like the thought of the veil, and what it means. After hearing the comments made about my friend, I am ashamed to say I would worry what other people say if I chose to wear one. This post mentions fine examples of things said which deterred me at the time: https://www.catholicstand.com/why-women-wear-chapel-veils-and-should-you-too/

I've also heard people comment that because of their young children, they don't want to wear one right now, as it would be more of a distraction (the kids keep pulling it off). My kids are older, and I do admit this was a fear of mine also. Looking back now, I think if I would have worn one while hold kids, I could have managed. It's also teaching the children about Mass, and what the veil represents, and the importance of not touching it. Like how we teach them the rosary is not a weapon to be swung at their siblings...

I have made the decision to purchase one from Veils by Lily. I got this one https://www.veilsbylily.com/new-starter-infinity-veils/ in Twilight Blue. When checking out, there is an option to get the little comb to help hold it in your hair. I didn't get it, but I think I will be going to JoAnn's to get one after wearing it last week. There is also an option to get FREE cards regarding veiling. I did get both sets offered, and have placed them in the church by all the other church pick up flyers.

I talked to my children about wearing it on the way to church that morning. I wanted to explain my choice so they would be surprised when I put it on in the church, and hopefully wouldn't be tempted to play with it. I chose to sit towards the back (We usually sit up close so the kids can see the alter), because I was still having worries about what people would say. My friend I mentioned earlier passed away nearly 3 years ago. In Mass, I felt her presence near me, and was brought to tears. In these last few years, I have wished I could seek her input and thoughts on several things. But I know she is in heaven, and hears my thoughts and concerns. I won't be sitting in the back next week.  I'm not wearing it for people to see. I don't want to wear one to be an inspiration to others. I want the sight of the veil itself to be an inspiration to others. I am submitting to Christ's love.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...