Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Adding to our Liturgical Celebrations

We are adding more into our Liturgical Celebrations this year. In the past years, we celebrated Advent preparation with just a simple Advent calendar making the nativity scene. This year we added the Advent wreath lighting and prayer nightly, and a Jesse Tree reading and ornament daily.

Many people have either forgotten or didn’t know that Christmas celebration actually begins on Christmas Day. The twelve days of Christmas that the famous song comes from behind December 25 and ends on January 5, with January 6 being The Epiphany, the day we celebrate the three Wise Men visiting the new born Christ.

To celebrate the twelve days of Christmas, as we countdown the time of the Wisemen to visit baby Jesus, we added a 12 days of sock gift set. The kids love opening a new pair of socks each day. For the Epiphany celebration, I’m planning on adding celebrating with the Wisemen. Our Wisemen for our nativity set are traveling around the house, and will be by baby Jesus on January 6. They will have gifts of Rolos, This is the Star book, and a new family board game. Being from Louisiana, I am also making a King Cake for us that morning. I’m planning to also do a house blessing, that I read about on this blog post.

I know there are several other celebrations we may miss out on making bigger, but I don’t want to overwhelm the kids by shoving too many things at once. I feel like they won’t pick them all up if we do too many new things at once. Like I may not make a big celebration of the baptism of Jesus (January 9) this year. I do plan to leave the Christmas tree lit until Candlemas (February 2). When we get back home from Christmas family travel, I will read more into more celebrations coming up in the next few months.

A big thing we are adding is celebrating the kids baptism dates this year. I’m not sure what all we will do. I know we will light their baptismal candle and celebrate by them picking dessert that day. I bought the book The Catholic All Year, and I am so excited to grow our faith this new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...