Monday, January 6, 2020

New study: 2 Kings

My online study group will be diving in to 2 Kings soon, so I wanted to get a refresh on the Books of Kings. My phone keeps trying to retype Kings as Kong’s, so I apologize if I miss a correction.

The two Books of Kings cover the time period of the birth of Samuel to the destruction of Jerusalem in 587 BC. These books are a religious history and focus on the temple, which is the worship sight of Yahweh.

The Books of Kings depict the rulers of the nations during this historical timeline, their rising, accomplishments, fallings, some of their unfaithfulness, and death. The First Book begins with the death of David and the rise of Solomon, his son Rehoboam’s reign and cause of the Israel rebellion and secession, then the rulers of Judah and Israel to Jehoshaphat and Ahab’s son Ahaziah. In First Kings, we encounter the prophet Elijah, and we will encounter Elisha in Second  Kings. We will continue to see the spiritual decline of Israel and Judah in Second Kings as they refuse to turn from their idols and worship God wholeheartedly. We will seek them taken into captivity, but not before His prophet tries to warn them several times.

I am looking forward to this set of readings to continue my journey through the Bible and history of our faith. Thank you for joining me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...