Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Epiphany Celebration

We celebrated Epiphany Day on Monday. The church recognized it on Sunday, and while we celebrated the Mass of Epiphany Celebration, we waited and conducted our celebrations on January 6, which is the recognized day. Also, because we hadn't finished our Twelve Days of Christmas gifts yet, so it would have gotten confusing.

Our Wisemen have found their way to the nativity with baby Jesus, and brought some gifts. We know that the wise men brought Jesus gold, frankincense, myrrh. The symbolism behind those gifts are as followed: gold was to represent the king, frankincense represented a deity, and myrrh represented  a symbol of death. So for use, the kids received some gold (Rolos) as something they would treasure- we try not to have candy too often, and frankincense (This is the Star book) as a gift to aid in spiritual life. The gift of myrrh should have been something the kids could use on their body for smell. Well, since I goofed and gave them body wash for Christmas, they received the board game for a family fun activity instead.

We also celebrated by enjoying a king cake. I bought the box mix when I was in south Louisiana for Christmas. I came across the Mam Papaul's box mix at the grocery store in Lafayette, and was super excited about the find. It was easy enough directions to follow, and the kids loved helping kneed the dough and watching it rise. I finished the baking after they were in bed, and woke up in the night to put on the icing (I fell asleep by accident). In the morning, I hid the baby Jesus under the cake (it's frowned upon to actually put the baby in the cake in the oven), and sliced up the cake for breakfast. The idea on Epiphany is that whomever finds the baby Jesus, gets to be king for the day. Well, of course my husband wound up with the baby. I should have made him a crown to wear! During Mardi Gras celebrations, whomever finds the baby usually brings a cake to the next party. 













We also celebrated with house blessing. I had never heard of this before, and was very excited to come across it in the Catholic All Year book as well as on the Carmelite's website. We blessed the chalk first, using the information in the Catholic All Year book. I found out in the book that anything blessed shouldn't be tossed out. So I will keep our chalk with our Christmas things to be used next year again. 

I hope you all had a blessed Christmas season!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...