Monday, September 28, 2020

A wolf in sheep’s clothing (2 Corinthians 11)

 2 Corinthians 11:4 For if someone comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it well enough.

I remember in college, when I wasn’t sure of myself and where I felt I belonged, I went with my dorm suite mates to several different churches. We “church hopped,” visiting a new church every few weekends until they found one they liked. Or at least that was the idea. We had a Catholic Church on campus, but their Mass was at 8 at night on Sundays. I preferred to go in the morning. I didn’t know anyone Catholic in the college yet, and I didn’t feel brave enough to go into a new church by myself, so I stayed with my suite mates for a month or two. Then I grew tired of church hopping and just went to the late Catholic Mass. And it was the one I stayed with for the remainder of my college time. 

 I know that every Catholic Church I go to is preaching the same message. For me, when I get to a new town, I just look to see what times the Catholic Churches offer Mass, and go to a time that works for me. Moving to a new city, I look for the Catholic Church that is in the area of my house, and pick a time. I know that not every other church or religion works this way, and people grow tired of their church or their leader, or they don’t agree with their church leader’s message. I know that some people who were Catholic don’t always agree with the Catholic leaders standpoints, and leave the Catholic faith as a whole. I am NOT saying the Catholic Church is free from errors. And I’m not saying that my church is the right church. We all just need to be aware that there are false teachers out there. There are people who separate themselves from a church because they don’t agree with the churches beliefs and try to make their own church with their own take on the Bible. Just guard your heart if you are still looking for a home church (whatever the denomination), or if you have doubts at your current church. Be on guard against those who seem to offer something new and shiny, because the devil doesn’t come out wearing doom and gloom. He disguises himself as an angel of light, trying to lure you away with his “truth.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...