Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Compassion for all (Psalm 145)


Psalm 145:8 The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in love

In 1 Corinthians 13, we read "love is patient, love is kind...it is not quick tempered...it endures all things." So love is patient, forgiving, gracious, and merciful. It is not quick tempered and slow to anger. In other words, God IS love. The greatest commandment is to love. And if love is God, then our call to love is a call to act more like the love God shows. 

It is so easy to have a quick temper at something we read or see that we do not agree with. It is so easy to become pompous and see ourselves as better than others in certain situations. It is so easy to become arrogant and rejoice at others misgivings and failures. Why is it so easy to do these things, and not easy to love? 

Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all, compassionate to every creature
God spreads his goodness to all creatures, to all humanity. Not just those originally chosen to receive his gifts, but all who seek him. If God can show compassion to everyone, why can't I? If I want to love like God, I need to open my heart to all his creation. I need to see the world as he sees it. I need to listen and feel. I need to stop stuffing myself in a safe box to hide from people who don't see things the same as I do. 

Lord, I want to love like you do. I want to be gracious and merciful. Open my heart to accept those who aren't the same as me. Blessed be your holy name and grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...