Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Self-cleansing (2 Corinthians 7)

My kids are ready to decorate for Halloween and Fall. It was 50 degrees here September 8 &9, and they think it is time to set up our house. Don't get me wrong, I love decorating the house for seasons. But I told them, if we decorate now, then before Halloween even gets here, I will have had enough of them. It gets to be too cluttered for me after a while, and I want it taken down. It's just too much, it feels too heavy around me. It's the same with Christmas decor, so it's not just scary Halloween things. I have days where I feel like everything is just too much, and start purging things in my house, thinking that maybe if I get rid of stuff in the house, it won't feel so heavy. It's a good feeling when I save up the decor at the end of the season, or do a room purge. Like a weight is lifted off me. Have you ever had a day where you just feel off? Like, there is this weight on your shoulders, but you aren't sure what it is? 

Like our houses need cleansing, our own self need cleansing. Not just a bath, but a deeper cleansing. Maybe because it feels like I was hoarding things others could use, is the reason getting rid of things made me feel better? I don't know. But I also know that if I don't take time very regularly to connect with God, to check my self, I feel a heavy weight on me. I feel like I need a spiritual cleansing to get more connected with God. Like I have allowed the things of this world to get in the way of that relationship. I have put him to the side too long. That I haven't done enough to serve him. 

I trust in Jesus, that he will forgive my sins, but I also know I must actively pursue him. I can't just sit around waiting for him to make the way for me. And I also know that he won't make all the dangers/sin in my life just disappear. I have to be willing to remove them from my life. I would have to choose to not pick up the drink or drug (metaphorically speaking). I would need to remove the filth from my flesh and spirit. In order to receive him fully, I need to be completely open to his forgiveness. And I can't be if I continue to lead a life of sin. 

2 Corinthians 7:1b let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of flesh and spirit, making holiness in the fear of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...