Friday, September 25, 2020

Dressed for battle (2 Corinthians 10)

 I am Catholic. A “cradle Catholic,” meaning I was born into and raised in a Catholic household. I did not attend a Catholic school, rather I went to public school in a largely Catholic community. I received religious education during school until about 5th grade, and they stopped allowing it since it was public school. Then we had Catechism on the weekend. I felt I understood my faith, until I went to college. I moved from south Louisiana to north Louisiana, which is mostly Baptist. On campus, I met a lot of other students that attended the Baptist College Ministry, who would walk around quoting Bible verses for everything other people were doing “wrong.” A leader of another campus group (who was not Catholic), would question me until I was very uncomfortable about my Catholic beliefs, why we did this, why we prayed this, etc. At first, it made me very doubtful of my faith, because obviously I didn’t know enough. But I didn’t know where to start, and just let it go. I endured this questioning for a bit and then joined a group of Catholic students, so at least I wasn’t walking around getting bullied on my own.

Years later, I met a friend who also questioned my beliefs, but in a much better attitude. Her questioning made me dig deeper into why we believe what we do, why we pray certain things, why I am a Catholic. At this point, I had a child already and knew that I wanted to raise her Catholic, and so I needed to learn before I preached to her of our faith (Christian and Catholic). 

2 Corinthians 10:4 For although we are in the flesh, We do not battle according to the flesh, for the weapons of our battle are not of the flesh but are enormously powerful, capable of destroying fortresses.

On Enduring Word, David Guzik notes:

‘The Corinthian Christians tended to rely on and admire carnal weapons for the Christian battle: 

· Instead of the belt of truth, they fought with manipulation.

· Instead of the breastplate of righteousness, they fought with the image of success.

· Instead of the shoes of the gospel, they fought with smooth words.

· Instead of the shield of faith, they fought with the perception of power.

· Instead of the helmet of salvation, they fought with lording over authority.

· Instead of the sword of the Spirit, they fought with human schemes and programs.’


As we face the world, there are those who give their opinions against God. I still have one dear to me with these opinions. I have very many times had to take hold of the things said and give them to God. Because of my desire to learn and grow since my children were born, I am able to stand up to their thoughts easier. I used to just let them come and attack, same as when I was in college. I don’t use harsh rebuttal, but with kindness, I face the arguments. Through that kindness, I feel a softness has opened up in this person’s heart. I can tell in the attitude towards me thinking Mass is more important than anything else on a Sunday. I will continue to stand up for my beliefs and fight with weapons that are not of the flesh, because the spiritual war is not over.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...