Monday, April 18, 2022

He Delivered Us (1 Chronicles 16)

1 Chronicles 16:35 “Save us, O God, our savior, gather us and deliver us from among the nations, That we may give thanks to your holy name and glory in praising you.”

This reminds me of one of the acclamations we make in Mass: Save us, savior of the world. For by your cross and resurrection, you have set us free. 

Today is a fitting day to have this verse and remember this acclamation. We got to celebrate Resurrection Sunday yesterday, and we know that Jesus is our Savior, who set us free by his death and resurrection. It was such a wonderful day. We didn’t mention the “bunny” at all, and the kids didn’t ask anything about it this year. They thanked me for their treats in their baskets. They loved coloring our chickens’ eggs and making a new Paschal candle. We talked extensively about what Jesus had to endure before he was even nailed to a cross. I haven’t had them watch The Passion yet, but we do watch Greatest Adventures Easter Story. My 12 and 8 year old actually read along the gospel story on Good Friday Mass, and spoke the part of the crowd along with the congregation. 

I want them to begin to understand the big picture of what He did to deliver us from our sins. One day they will understand why it brings me to tears each year to say out loud “crucify him.” I want them to understand Easter is so much more than candy and eggs. I see the dots connecting in their eyes more each year. So we will praise his name together at dinner with our candle lit. And I will let my mama heart rest, knowing I am doing my part to raise them in the church.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...