Sunday, August 7, 2011

Time for prayer

So I went to Mass at the church I grew up in today, since I went to Erath for the weekend. They have a new priest, Father Melancon, but he was actually in Shreveport this weekend. There was a visiting priest from St. Genevive Church in Lafayette. The Gospel today was Jesus walking towards the disciples on the water (Matthew 14:22-33). The priest's homily talked about how before the disciples went on the boat, they were with Jesus as he fed the crowds. Then Jesus dismissed the people and dimissed the disciples so He could pray. The priest pointed out that we all need to take the time to pray, whether it be in the car to work, when cooking dinner, after tucking the kids in bed, etc. He said when people have family over on Sundays to visit, they lose track of time and don't make it to Mass. He tells them when he hears this, that they should say to their family that they need their time to pray, and invite the family to Mass also. What greater way to disciple to others than by showing your family you keep God first.

So it got me thinking about finding times to pray. And the more I thought about it the more I realized I have LOTS of time to pray that I don't take advantage of. I always say prayers before bedtime. I just don't take advantage of my time during the day. It takes 12 minutes to drive from the daycare to work. I go home for lunch almost everyday. Then 12 minutes from worm to daycare in the afternoon. That's 40 minutes right there. And there are several here and there minutes here and there throughout the day that I can find.

So I ask those who follow my blog: can you find time to spare during your busy day to pray?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...