Monday, April 19, 2021

Hypocrisy (Isaiah 29)

Isaiah 29:13 This people draws near with words only and honors me with their lips alone, though their hearts are from me, and their reverence for me has become routine observance of the precepts of men...

Have you never known someone who was friendly to you only to try to get close to you for a specific reason? I had a girl who tried to become friends with me, or at least acted friendly with me only to learn more about someone else. She tried to use me as a front to make herself look better to others, or because she was trying to get gossip about others. She was only ever friendly when she wanted something. 

Have you ever acted that way with God? Made yourself look and appear to be closer to him than you really are just so people think better about you? Jesus commented on the hypocrites in the temple that followed word alone, that did rituals out of obligation, but not out of love. We should follow God because we love him, because we want to be close to him. Not because we have to or because it makes us look better to someone else (or on paper). Don’t cheat yourself out of a wonderful relationship with our Lord. If you say you are close with him, then allow yourself to be close. Allow yourself to truly open up to his word and love. It will change your world.

Lord, I pray that people can see you through me, but I am not asking for them to see me. Only you Lord.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...