Thursday, March 19, 2015

Matthew 14

Good morning all. Morning came fast today as it was a long night watching the clock. Boo. 

Matthew 14:13-14 When Jesus heard of it, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick.

This verse follows Jesus learning of the death of John the Baptist. Jesus already had a long day of teaching and was tired, as were his disciples. Mark 6:31 and 34 says "He said to [the disciples ], 'Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.'  People were coming and going in vast numbers, and they had no opportunity even to eat," "When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things."

Jesus was so moved by the people that even his weariness was set aside for them at that moment. He continued to teach them instead of saying "y'all come back tomorrow so I may rest." Their faith touched his heart and he was not selfish. He did not deny the people God's word, which was the will of God.

 I think of the many times at the end of the day when my kids ask for something and I say no because I am tired. Though this is not a spiritual teaching I am denying them, I am denying the because of my own personal wellbeing. How about the few times i debate getting up and going to Mass because I am tired? That is when I would be denying my children and myself a spiritual connection with Jesus because of my selfishness. And I would also be saying my sleep is more important that God's will. 

If Jesus had turned away from the people, they may have stopped believing. If God had ever said "I'm too tired to deal with you people," where would we be today?

Lord, when I am weary, give me the strength to carry on, as is your will. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...