Thursday, December 25, 2014

Scalloped potatoes

Merry Christmas!! We are currently taking a break from our bible study during Christmas holidays. It's the third year in a row my little family is having Christmas at our house. Our Christmas menu today will include brown sugar and pineapple ham, scalloped potatoes, green bean cassarole, and biscuits (from last night's Popeye's run). And don't forget dessert!

I was looking for a scalloped potato recipe similar to the one my husband's family cooks (since he loves it) online, but was not able to find it. Then I remembered I had written it down last year after his mom emailed it to me! So I thought I would share it. I boiled the potatoes tonight so I can throw it together tomorrow after church. I'm not sure if the whole cassarole can be prepared the day ahead because the crackers may get mushy. 

Homemade scalloped potatoes
8 red potatoes, washed and peeled
1 sleeve Saltine crackers, crushed
Salt and Pepper
Evaporated milk (at least 12 oz)
10 slices cheese

Preheat oven to 365*F. 
Slice potatoes to 1/2" thick and boil approximately 15-20 minutes, or until done. Make sure not to over boil them.
Butter bottom of a 13"x9" pan.  Put the crushed crackers on the bottom. Put a layer of cooked potato slices on top of the crackers. Add a little salt and pepper, then a layer of the sliced cheese. 

Continue with potatoes, salt/pepper, and cheese. Once finished layering, add evaporated milk to cover the bottom of the pan. 

Put in the oven for ~15-20 minutes. You want the cheese bubbly and starting to turn brown on top. Not burnt! Enjoy :)

**Note: because the kids and I are driving to Louisiana tomorrow, I didn't want to make a lot of food, though hubby will appreciate any leftovers while we are gone. I used a foil 9"x9" pan. So I only used 3/4 sleeve of crackers. And my daughter ate a slice of cheese, so I added shredded on top. A glass pan helps you see how much evaporated milk you used. I used 12 oz today. If you use a bigger pan, you may need more.
 Boil the potatoes until done. Just don't let them get mushy.

Put the crushed crackers first, then begin layering the potatoes, salt/pepper, and cheese.

Once finished layers (top with cheese), add evaporated milk to cover the bottom. 



Bake ~20 minutes, watch for cheese to begin to brown but not burn.

 The blueberry cake I made for breakfast and dessert!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...