Thursday, August 13, 2020

Psalm 131




Psalm 131:1 Lord, my heart is not proud; nor are my eyes haughty. I do not busy myself with great matters, with things too sublime for me.

Instead of allowing his heart to be proud or his eyes to look down on others in arrogance, David has learned to humble himself. Instead of trying to selfishly pursue ambitions higher than what God intended, he waited patiently for what God had intended. God did not calm or quiet his soul, David chose to quiet his soul. David enjoyed his close relationship with God and was happy in God.

We are taught as children to strive for more in school, and to always do better. Then we go to work, and  there are opportunities to grow in a job that most want to achieve. I believe what this chapter is wanting us to do is to not get prideful or arrogant to what we have achieved, because our achievements are from God. And also, not trying to selfishly gain advancements in our job or in life by stepping in others, pushing others out of the way. He is not telling us to to sit complacent at your current position, and never try to grow, but to make sure we do it with God first in our heart. We need to quiet our soul, pray to God for what we think we are needing. And remember that God will provide for our needs. Gains should always be praised, if they were achieved humbly.

Lord, I am calming my soul. I want to enjoy my relationship with you as David did. I know that any potential for achievements in our lives is a gift you have put in our way, and that any success is from you. Than you for keeping my heart humble so I can see you through it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...