Monday, November 22, 2021

Slowing Down for Spiritual Growth (Psalm 95:1)


Psalm 95:1 Come, let us sing joyfully to the LORD; cry out to the rock of our salvation.

I’ve always been taught that when we sing, we are praying twice. Though I was in band for 8 years, singing was never my blessing. Sure I sing in the shower, I sing in the car, I sing when no one is around. But I don’t usually sing around people. Except in church. There is something about the hymns and prayers at church being sung that just pulls you in. And especially beginning at Easter Sunday Mass of this year, when after nearly a year of not being allowed to sing at church because of COVID we were finally allowed to not wear masks and sing, I sang so joyfully I cried. We read “let US sing,” so signing in a group together makes sense. And a church is the best place for a group to sing praise to God. It doesn’t matter what my voice sounds like to the person in the pew behind me, but it matters that God can hear me sing his praise. (Though I do try to keep myself contained a bit for their sake).

Think of how small children greet their parents when they come home after work or after being away. There is so much joy and enthusiasm in the children. They are so excited to see their parents. The holidays are coming up. How do you act when you see a family member that you haven’t seen in a while? Lots of hugging, laughter, joyful voices. It should be the same each Sunday as we return and are so happy to be with God at church again.

Know what’s even cooler? Well of course God is always with us, so why not sing praise and worship to him more often than just Sunday? Change your radio station to K-Love. I challenge you to listen to K-Love for a whole week. In the car to work, during the day, on the way home, on any errand, etc. Immerse yourself in the love of God and sing out his praise along with the songs on the radio (or app). You might be surprised how it can change your mood, your day, and your life. I love listening to K-Love and I love even more to hear my children cry out praise and worship songs to the rock, God our Father. And then sing them even when we aren’t in the car. If we want our kids to speak praise, the need to hear it. The repeat what they listen to. Shouldn’t we will their heads and hearts with songs of praise and glory?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...