Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Exodus 18

Exodus 18:24 Moses followed the advice of his father-in-law and did all that he suggested.

After dealing with Pharaoh and the plaques, crossing the Red Sea, and having traveled thus far with the Isrqleites, Moses was probably tired and worn. He was not a young man. Jethro noticed this and gave Moses advice to help him and the people, by appointing judges to discern small arguments. Moses willingly heeded the advice. 

How many times does pride get in the way in our every day lives that we ignore wise counsel from others? In our culture in America I can give one gr eat example. New mothers are subjectd to so much pressure to be and do many things, and to get them done with a smile on, that if someone offers advice, our pride will snub them. We don't normally follow the old "it takes a village to raise a child" saying anymore and haven't for a few generations. 

I remember when I had my first born, I wants to try to figure things out for myself, so when my mother gave advice, I would ask her to stop. of course, to me, her advice sounded a whole lot more like criticism, like I wasn't doing a good enough job. Of course when my friends gave me similar advice, I listened and followed. I also think nowadays, there is such overwhelming "advice" when it comes to child-rearing, that it turns mothers against each other, friend against friend, and more into a competition of who does a better job. (You know, with the cloth vs disposable, breast vs formula, crib vs co sleep, etc). But again, a lot of the arguing falls back on pride, which is not a good thing. We just need to step back, listen to the advice, pray about what is best, and follow our instinct and what we feel God is wanting us to do. 

Lord, I thank you for giving me the mind and ability to make choices. I pray the choices I make are not prideful ones, but ones to give you glory. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...