Monday, October 20, 2014

Genesis 23

In Genesis 23:4 we see Abraham trying to purchase a piece of land in the Hittite area. The Hittites kept trying to give the land to Abraham, but he wanted to purchase it. Probably go give his descendants their first piece of land in the country God promised they would one day inherit. Abraham could now say his descendants inherited the land from him and not from the Hittites as a sorrowful gift. 

Abraham did this so the Hittites couldn't ever come back and say "We gave you this land, now do this for us." Sometimes with gifts their a strings attached. We must be carful who we accept gifts from and their reasoning behind it. This happens alot in our world today, as many people have the mindset "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours," or if I do you a favor, you will do one for me. We need to be aware of this deceitful nature because if we are doing things for personal gain and not for God, the devil is winning. 

This is not to say if someone offers us a gift, we shouldn't take it. We should just be mindful of who and what it is, and if it looks like it's too good to be true, it probably is. We could then either pay for the gift or not accept it. 

Lord, lease keep me mindful of th gifts you want me to receive come from your grace and not personal gain. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...