Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Genesis 25

Genesis 25:8 there he breathed his last, dying at a ripe old age, grown old after a full life; and he was taken to his kinsmen. 

What a beautiful statement about Abraham's passing. After 175 years and a full life, as written, he breathed his last. If only that could be the thought for everyone who passes, but it's not always the care. Some people at taken way too early. No one understands God's reasoning for why some people's life are cut short while others live longer. No one really likes to talk about death. Except maybe the really old or the really sick, because they have come to terms with their time. 

I'm not sure why this sentence stood out to me this morning. Halloween is right around the corner, as is All Hallow's Day/ All Saint's Day, which is the day we remember the dead. In my job, we see death every day, and only the ones caused by someone else. It can be really hard work, but I know I am working for the greater good, to help the families. It is very hard not to say, "How could He let this happen?" But I know in my heart that God has a plan for everyone. God does not just 'let things happen.' He does everything with a purpose that we are not to understand. Death is one of those things. 

Abraham's life was great because he lived it with God. We shouldn't worry about death. We should live each day here on earth for God. Our ultimate goal is to be in heaven with God, and Abraham, Moses, Jesus, etc. If we live our life fully like Abraham did, with God at our side, it won't matter when God comes to call, because we will be ready. 

Have you ever sat down and talked with the elderly or the very sick? How about a patient at St. Jude's? I did. And that child's faith at 8 years old was great than mine was at 22. She knew God had a plan for her. She knew that through her struggles, the doctors could possibly find a cure. And if it wasn't through her, they would at least know how to better treat the next child. She was amazing. Even thought she was 8, every day she lived her life, as best should could, to the fullest. She prayed several times a day and thanked God all the time. Even when she was in pain. How amazing! 

We may not get to live for 175 years like Abraham. But we can make the most of each and every day while we are here on earth, preparing for heaven. 

Lord, I ask that you help me to live every day to its fullest, like Abraham, so that when it is my time to meet you, people can know I did so. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lack of Friends

Moving is hard. If you never have, it’s not something to take lightly. I haven’t moved nearly as many times as some people, but I have lived...